Hugh Winkler holding forth on computing and the Web

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

YouOS

My first reaction to YouOS: Cool. A webtop that looks the same from wherever I log in.

Second reaction: Hey, we had this in the 80's! Log in to any Sun on the LAN and your NFS shares are all in the same structure, your desktop just as you left it.

Third reaction: Did we invent the web only to repro the 1984 Mac desktop yet again?

Fourth reaction: There isn't hyperlink number one on this desktop. Shouldn't I be able to get the hyperlink of an object and send it to someone so they can see it or get it?

I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but it needs to be more webby. It needs to enable something I can't do now with a desktop. There's some new metaphor we're groping for. I'll know it when I see it.

No comments: